If you are hitting the fitness then you probably see that 3 meals per day does not cut it. Snacks between meals or having 5-6 small meals is a must for most of us.
The worst thing someone can do is not snack during the day and then overstuff at dinner to make up for the lack. There are many healthy snack options even when you are on-the-go. Many do not require a cooler or fridge. Some can be even picked up at a gas station. The key is to develop a routine of daily planning in the morning or before bed. Here are some ideas for snacks between meals:
- Whole fruit or dried fruit
- Raw veggies with hummus or avocado
- Vegetable or avocado sushi rolls
- Nuts (lower-sodium), 1-2 handfuls
- Protein powder with water, juice, or vegan milk
- Smoothie with fruit and/or greens
- Meal bar or nut bar
- 2-3 bananas and peanut butter
- Salad with ingredients that give a variety of flavor and crunchiness
- Vegan yoghurt (preferably with more fruit sugar than cane sugar or unsweetened)
- Pre-baked potato or sweet potato
- Baked tofu slices and hot sauce
- Plant-based cashew cheese on flaxseed crackers
- Oatmeal bar or cookie, low-sweetener
- Summer rolls with tofu and veggies
- Hearty soup
***Of course, choose the amount of snack that fits within your calorie and fat needs. It is easy to eat 1000 calories of nuts or peanut butter, but that is too much for a snack for most people.
If you have a job that does not offer snack or lunch breaks- look for new job- then meanwhile bring food to drink down. Have a bottle with a high calorie protein shake, blended soup, or a oatmeal fruit smoothie. This can be partially frozen or iced if spoilage would be possible.
Home treat: If you are not on-the-go then vegan frozen banana ice cream loaded with toppings makes an excellent treat.
Some people like air-popped popcorn but I never have cared for popcorn without oil. You might.
Bad Snack Options:
Donuts, cookies, potato chips, candy bars, high-calorie coffee drink, zero calorie fake sugar drinks. Do Not Consume Them!
Find a healthy replacement.
The longer you eat healthier the more cravings for bad things will go away.